Have you been struggling with sales? Are you lamenting that you haven’t made a single cent from your online business and that no matter what you do, you just haven’t been able to secure any sales?
Well, if it’s any consolation, you’re not alone. There are many business owners just like you while those who consistently reap in oodles of cash from their online businesses are few and far between.
That said, if you’re not getting anywhere after a certain period of time, maybe it’s time to change tactics. Sometimes it could be as simple as tweaking your marketing strategy or reworking your ads.
But to be fair, you must give things a reasonable chance to play out. So don’t give up too soon. Stand back and take a look at the big picture; only don’t just stand there staring because nothing’s going to happen until you take positive action.
Ready to get started? Here’s a list of simple things you can do to breathe life into your business:
1. Promote both online and offline. Don’t discount the importance of offline promotion even if your business is online. You should maximize your business exposure by doing both.
2. Distribute those business cards religiously every chance you get. Give people two business cards, and tell them to give the other one away to someone they know. Drop them into the fishbowls at restaurant receptions. Leave them with people who are likely to pass them on.
3. Grab the opportunity to give someone your elevator speech when they ask you what you do. Have your 30-second elevator speech well-rehearsed and ready. Describe your business and tell them something unique about it that will make them remember you the next time they’re in need of the product or service you offer.
4. Take a look at your online ads. Maybe you need to tweak those a little here and there to turn them into real attention grabbers. Track your ads, so you know which ad copies are performing and which ones you can throw out.
5. Work with someone who has a business that complements yours. By this, I don’t mean a joint venture necessarily. It could be as simple as agreeing to cross-promote for each other or exchanging links. It’s a win-win situation where both sides will gain more exposure resulting in more business for both. How cool is that?
6. Put aside a little time each day to actively network in forums, groups, and communities. Networking is not about advertising your business. It’s about cultivating relationships with people which in the long run, may bring in business for you.
7. Start a business blog. Blogs are making the buzz on the internet these days so jump on the bandwagon, why don’t you? They’re easy to do and provide an interesting platform for you to offer advice and business ideas.
8. Get your own website with your own domain name if you’re using a standard affiliate website. Use it to offer information and promote other affiliate programs as well. Canned affiliate websites are counter-productive because they tell people very little about you. People prefer to do business with a familiar face so let them get to know you and trust you.
9. Invest in your own domain name if you’ve been using a free domain name and/or a free email address. Domain names and web hosting are not very expensive these days. They are a very real business necessity.
Free domains and emails don’t speak very well for the professional image of your business. To establish trust and business credibility, show your potential customers you’re serious about your business and that you are here to stay for the long term.
10. Take a look outside your business. When you’ve been working too long and too hard at your business, you may run dry of ideas and things may get a little stale, a little old.
So look away for a while. See what others are doing. See how your competitors are doing. Talk to people. You’ll get lots of ideas and inspiration just by looking around you. Sometimes all it takes to turn your business around is a little creativity, a dash of spice here and there.
There’s lots more you can do than I have space to list here. Got a bright idea? Be bold, go ahead, and try it. Like I always say, you never know till you try. There are no right or wrong answers, just your willingness to take action.
Businesses, like seasons, are subject to cycles. There are good days and there are bad days. Don’t expect sales to come pouring in overnight. Keep working at it, keep learning and educating yourself, and the sales will follow.
Wishing you lots of success.